Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can I put my Tube receiver on top of my Model 14's?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member henrybasstardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2004
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I put Original Advents on top of the the 14's and have been using them but need that Altec sound back. I'm gonna store the Advents but I want to put tubes on the 14's and the only place I have is on top of one of the speakers. Is this bad? Are they sheilded?

    Sorry I looked at the literature and could not find any info.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think it's ok to put tube gear on top of your speakers, I've seen it done enough times, but you never know, I put my Quad II monoblocks on top of my 19's & didn't notice any problems.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IF any of the high gain audio stages are microphonic (tapping with fingernail causes an audible clink sound), you will have to watch the bass vibrations that would pass up thru the enclosure and into the receiver. As heavy as most tube receivers are, you might find some soft support feet to cushion the vibrations. Just be sure not to obstruct the air-flow up thru your receiver.

    If you only play the music softly; disregard 1st paragraph. I would place my tube amps on my speakers, just because I like the "light show" inside the 6550 output tubes when the bass is cranked up!

    Richard C.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member henrybasstardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2004
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you
    I'll be hooking up my best Fisher 400 tomorrow in the early afternoon so the work guys can hear the majic. Then when they leave and the boss and I chill we will light them up, nothing but loud for me, when able.

    Cheers

  5. #5
    Inactive Member armandh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    102
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    FM is particularly microphonic
    any change in the LO tuning produces a change at the discriminator.
    not bad in an all electronic synthesized unit but older tube units a problem

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.